Count it all JOY!


On June 29th, 2008 the last person’s name in the top 5 had been called. The curtain closed and, in complete shock, my dream of becoming Miss Bahamas World 2008 had ended. I had spent the previous year rigorously preparing and transforming myself for what I thought was going to be my “crowning glory”. This dream was just not a reality. It was clear that my Father in Heaven did not have this in His plans for me. Millions of thoughts ran through my head: disappointment, embarrassment, sadness and most of all CONFUSION AND UNCERTAINTY. I had put so many hopes and dreams and plans into this one night. I had no idea where to pick up the pieces. This was when I first realized my happiness in God. My “joy” in His love was conditional. Your joy shouldn't depend on your current state - that’s called happiness. Joy is the peace in your spirit that you feel no matter what’s going on in your life at that time.

As I look back on my life and all the times I got upset with God because He didn't give me the things I begged for, I begin to see how selfish I was to be so angry over minor disappointments. I realize now how many things God saved and shielded me from and I can’t afford NOT to be grateful; I can’t afford not to have joy! The very first line in Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life says, “It’s not about YOU!” This powerful statement makes you realize that you weren't created to have what YOU wanted; you were created to serve God. This means, in life, you’re going to have some trying times, some disappointing times and times where your faith will really be tested. However, you will also have some rewarding times, unforgettable sweet memories and moments of complete fulfillment, when you decide to walk into your purpose.  We may not always understand what God is doing, but we can be assured that when we trust Him, He will work it out for our good.

It’s always easy to smile and have joy during the good times, but having joy through the hard times, sometimes, seems next to impossible. I've had friends who have lost parents, been diagnosed with a life threatening sickness, lost their job, suffered from financial strain and some have even lost their spouse to infidelity. In these kinds of times, I can’t imagine how hard it is to still trust God and to still hold on to His joy. However, God never makes mistakes. A friendly reminder of this true statement came in an email that I want to share with you below…

A king who did not believe in the goodness of God, had a slave who, in all circumstances would always say “my king, do not be discouraged, because everything God does is perfect. He makes no mistakes!” 

One day they went hunting and along the way a wild animal attacked the king. His slave managed to kill the animal, but could not prevent his majesty from losing a finger.

Furious and without showing his gratitude for being saved, the nobleman asked "Is God good? If He was good, I would not have been attacked and lost my finger."

The slave replied:

"My king, despite all these things, I can only tell you that God is good, and he knows why these things happened. What God does is perfect. He is never wrong!"

Outraged by the response, the king ordered the arrest of his slave.  Later, the King left for another hunt, this time alone. He was captured by savages who engaged in human sacrifices.

On the altar and ready to sacrifice the nobleman, the savages discovered that their victim did not have one of his fingers.  According to them, only a whole person with all his/her parts intact could be offered to the gods. The King without a finger was deemed an abominable sacrifice for their
gods. So they released the King. Upon his return to the palace, the King authorized the release of his slave. He received the slave affectionately.

He asked his slave, "My dear, God was really good to me! I was almost killed by the wild men, but for lack of a single finger, I was let go! But I have a question: if God is so good, why did he allow me to put you in jail?"

The slave answered, "My King, if I had gone with you on this hunt, I would have been sacrificed instead because I have no missing finger. Remember everything God does is perfect.  He is never wrong. He made you keep me in jail so I would not be with you on the hunt."

Often we complain about life, and negative things that happen to us, forgetting that nothing is random and that everything has a purpose.

Every morning, offer your day to God, don't be in a rush.  Ask God to inspire your thoughts, guide your actions, and ease your feelings. And do not be afraid. God is never wrong!

You know why this message is for you? I do not know, but God knows, because He never makes mistakes....... 

This story gives me comfort in knowing that even though I am currently in a trying season of preparation, God has a season of harvest waiting for me. He never makes mistakes. He’s working behind the scenes for my good.  Therefore, my joy can no longer depend on my circumstances. My joy HAS to depend on the only thing that will always remain constant - that’s God’s love for me.  Have you ever felt attacked? Been broken? Unfairly treated? Cheated, lied to or defeated?? For me, everything isn't perfect and I remember three things I was begging God to change in my favor, last year. Guess what?! He still has not changed ANY of it, but he did change something: my outlook on life. I began to realize there is so much to be grateful for and in EVERY season there are experiences to enjoy, lessons to learn and ministries to be born! I am so grateful I allowed God's love to make me content!! God will grant us a season of blessings, but we don’t have to pout and sulk until we get there. His gift of joy is everlasting.

I encourage you to trust God, develop the fruit of the spirit, JOY, and learn to enjoy the season that you’re currently in. Even when you don’t realize it, believe me when I say He is working it out for you. Therefore, do not allow your love for God to be conditional. Love Him as He loves us: completely and unconditionally. Through the good and the bad, remember to count it all JOY!



Philippians 4:11: I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

Comments

  1. This is good stuff Keel. May God bless you. Remain joyful. The World needs not joyous people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man this is my daily cry to God to be content his peace passes all understanding and keeps you calm....Grateful for your blog another spot of MOTIVATION!!KEEP IT UP NEIGHBOR

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Purpose, Through your Pain - Myles Munroe Jr.

5 Reasons Lauren Speed - Hamilton has BLACK WOMEN believing in LOVE Again!

"So God told you he/she was the "ONE", 8 ways to figure out if it was really GOD or just YOU!"